A cosmopolitan's short narratives.

“Welcome to the kingdom of my imagination. Welcome to the world of the unpredictable reality. I live in Florida (sometimes in Sweden). My country of birth doesn’t exist anymore (SSSR). I am writing in English and Russian about my day-to-day life and the experience of living in different countries, observation of people’s life, traveling and fashion. Welcome,” jelena717@gmail.com.

September 21, 2009

Key West, Day 1.


The concept of tropical life has always been, for me,   tantamount to an overseas tale. But now, living in this "fairy tale," I constantly complain about the unbearable conditions and relentless sun. Therefore, the idea of visiting  tropical Key West, for me, wasn’t wasn't very tempting.

But, as always before I jump to any conclusions, I have to first visit the place myself and experience it. We booked a hotel, gathered our friends, and drove off on a journey to Key West in two cars. It took us four  hours to drive, and nothing remarkable happened, except that one of our friends got sick after the lunch at one doggy tourist restaurant. By three o'clock in the afternoon, we arrived at the place and settled in the hotel; then went to explore the local attractions.

The biggest difference between these islands and the rest  of Florida is the architecture. Key West has prevailed on preserving the antediluvian houses. The view of the old houses takes you a hundred years back. If Miami is a city skyscrapers, then Key West is a picturesque village from Ernest Hemingway stories.

Key West is really a very small place, but uncommonly cozy and tropical. The atmosphere is relaxing and wild roosters (I can’t comprehend from where they came) are rambling around the town. The stream of lazy and goofy tourists (too much wine or too much heat) renders the feeling that time has ceased there.

The peaceful atmosphere goes along with the heat and even the wild roosters don't respond to the clicks of your camera.


The people passing by are constantly jumping from one side to another, trying to find shade under the huge indigenous Banyan trees in the alleys.



Key West is also one of the most popular stopping points for giant cruise ships from all around the World. The cruise ships, which are crossing the Atlantic, stop for a day or two and  bring a lot of tourists.

Most Americans still go to church every Sunday. The view of pretty churches bring peace, tranquility, and local charm.

The local church.



The depth of the coast surprised me when I saw a giant-size cruise ship causally parked by the shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment