A cosmopolitan's short narratives.

“Welcome to the kingdom of my imagination. Welcome to the world of the unpredictable reality. I live in Florida (sometimes in Sweden). My country of birth doesn’t exist anymore (SSSR). I am writing in English and Russian about my day-to-day life and the experience of living in different countries, observation of people’s life, traveling and fashion. Welcome,” jelena717@gmail.com.

April 16, 2010

My “friend” Eyjafjallajokull

I never thought that any of nature disaster in the world will affect me personally. All dramatic TV reportages about earthquakes, tsunami, hurricanes, floods, devastating fires, until today, I witnessed just from a TV screen. And now I am self experiencing how it feels to be in the middle of big chaos.

Yesterday I was supposed to take fly from Miami to Copenhagen (through Atlanta) with Delta airline. I checked in my baggage, passed security control and just 5 min before the flight, the girl behind the counter, informed me that the fly to Copenhagen is cancel. With a service-minded smile she offered me to wait two days in Atlanta. So I didn’t have so much choose as to leave the plane. I rushed back through the security check to the main Delta counter to change my ticket. My plane took off and my luggage with it.

The volcanic outburst of Eyjafjallajokull from Iceland has covered the whole aerospace of Scandinavian and the East part of Europe. The last known eruption occurred in 1821 and lasted for 14 days.

Hundred of thousand passengers are stranded around Europe and the USA. It is a big economical tragedy for many people and for fly companies. Having said that, I don’t want to call it for a tragedy, it is better to say: big inconvenience. It could be a tragedy if plane would crash and so many people would die.

I spent the whole day in Miami airport waiting for my ride back home.

Worried and unhappy I was spending my tedious hours of waiting in the only bar (in before-security-control zone) I found in the airport. The wine was disgusting and the bartender, who was from Pakistan, talked too much. It turned out that he has a brother in Stockholm. The annoying bartender and extremely bad wine didn’t bother me so much. I was staring at huge TV screen which relentlessly showed on and on the erupting of my “friend” Eyjafjallajokull.

It was nothing glamorous in my situation; the whole atmosphere was depressing and gloomy. All of sudden I remembered the Hollywood movie about an alone women waiting at airport and how her new acquaintance changed her life. This thought caused a sarcastic smile and I got a chuckle out of the irony of my situation.

I changed my ticket to Monday (the first available flight) and I just pray that a little monster Eyjafjallajokull will find peace in itself and have mercy on all people.

1 comment: