A cosmopolitan's short narratives.

“Welcome to the kingdom of my imagination. Welcome to the world of the unpredictable reality. I live in Florida (sometimes in Sweden). My country of birth doesn’t exist anymore (SSSR). I am writing in English and Russian about my day-to-day life and the experience of living in different countries, observation of people’s life, traveling and fashion. Welcome,” jelena717@gmail.com.

May 28, 2010

New York, day 2.The Museum of Modern Art

We spent this morning at MoMA, the museum of modern art. The 6th floor is dedicated to special exhibitions and distinguished artists. This time the special guest was Marina Abromovic, a New York-based Serbian and Yugoslavian performance artist.



Marina Abromovic performs the art.

I was shocked by her “art”; you might call me narrow-minded and prejudiced, but I can’t perceive her creation as art. Marina films human naked bodies in sexual positions and uses real people as models during her exhibitions. For example, today I witnessed how people embraced by squeezing themselves between two naked youngsters in a narrow corridor to be able to proceed to the next room.
The public is a part of her performance.
On the first floor of the MoMA Marina was presenting her art by sitting motionless in one position on a chair. I was most curious about all these people who were also surrounding the artist and were watching her for hours and hours. I was wondering what was going on in their minds, why would they stare at the stolid face of Marina. By the way, Marina’s desire is to show the painful suffering of human bodies.
After 5 hours of wandering in the museum I was so tired that I could easily be a “suffering model” for Abromovic art.

There were plenty of other art works and creations that attracted me or just caught my attention. I would like to share with you some of them.

Marc Chagall, French, born Belarus. 18887-1985

Max Ernst, French, born Germany. 1891-1976, “Napoleon in the Wilderness”


James Ensor, Belgian. 1860-1949

Marisoal, Venezuelan, born France 1930
The artist rendered the smiling faces of prominent people by house wrens. I think my portrait is missing here.


Vincent van Gogh, Dutch. 1853-1890



















Can you call this rope by Robert Morris for an art?             Some Russians broadsheet art.
I don’t think so!



“Center of Gallery” by Lee Bontecou, American, born 1931 

Tokujin Toshioka, a Japanese artist, likes to experiment with broken dishes and cutlery.

In the evening we went to “Mama-Mia” at the “Winter Garden” Theatre on Broadway. Unfortunately it was not allowed to take pictures. The musical was good though the singing performance was weak, not powerful.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment