A cosmopolitan's short narratives.

“Welcome to the kingdom of my imagination. Welcome to the world of the unpredictable reality. I live in Florida (sometimes in Sweden). My country of birth doesn’t exist anymore (SSSR). I am writing in English and Russian about my day-to-day life and the experience of living in different countries, observation of people’s life, traveling and fashion. Welcome,” jelena717@gmail.com.

September 10, 2009

A story about sweet nothings


Today I finished my fifths  book of Jane Austen - “Emma,” and I read even its criticism. This book is more popular among the Austen’s readers. However, the most popular among moviemakers is “Pride and Prejudice.” Though I have managed to find four film versions of “Pride and Prejudice,” I couldn’t find any of “Emma.” Why so? I guess because the "Emma" book has less actions.

I sank into my thoughts about what I just read and why people are so awed particularly by this novel. “Emma” is a study in imperfection conducted perfectly; a story about sweet nothings. The environment of the book is so distanced from the reality that, perversely, it makes the novel seem so real.

Everybody loves “Emma.” Austen describes her heroine: ” With insufferable vanity had she believed herself in the secret of everybody’s feelings; with unpardonable arrogance proposed to arrange everybody’s destiny. She was proved to have been universally mistaken."

No comments:

Post a Comment