A cosmopolitan's short narratives.

“Welcome to the kingdom of my imagination. Welcome to the world of the unpredictable reality. I live in Florida (sometimes in Sweden). My country of birth doesn’t exist anymore (SSSR). I am writing in English and Russian about my day-to-day life and the experience of living in different countries, observation of people’s life, traveling and fashion. Welcome,” jelena717@gmail.com.

September 11, 2009

Las Vegas, day 1.

Probably, I have to start by saying that the journey to Las Vegas was a long one. After two and half hours of flight from Fort Lauderdale, we were supposed to connect in Kansas City (Missouri) and then fly to Las Vegas (Nevada), which takes an additional two and half hours. The total time is seven hours; waiting time in Kansas City is included.


Nothing remarkable happened during our trip; except from that I was detained at the security check point. I noticed all worried and concerned faces of the security people and how they bent over the computer screen trying to identify something dangerous in my handbag.

I knew that I had no water or any other liquid, so I was seriously concerned that somebody might have put something in my bag (these things are rare but they do happen). After having being surrounded by security folks and confirming that the bag was mine, I let them thoroughly investigate the content of it. Well, guess what?

It was my Jane Austen book (“Emma”) which was taken as an unidentified object and a possible threat by the security computer program. Everybody was puzzled and I got my first good laugh that day.


Sorry, my dear reader, allow me to be a little bit witty; obviously Jane Austen's works are considered to be too heavy and serious and as a consequence of that I was detained.

In Kansas City our flight was delayed by two hours and we were trapped in a small area with chintzy furnishings. My attention was riveted to the reoccurring situation of people’s reactions (who were waiting for the next flight, like we were) when they were informed that if they left this spot then they must go through security again.

It wouldn’t be so tempting if you couldn’t observe, on the opposite side of glass wall, many nice and restaurants and cafes. It is not necessary to describe the upset reactions of hungry passengers. That was my entertainment during my two hours of tedious waiting.

My first impression of the State of Nevada’s landscape was a terrifying view of yellow desert mixed with a brown chain of non-active craters. The landscape was definitely not suitable for living: not one spot of water or lake, just a gleam of river surrounded by a sleep edge of red-yellow mountains. I couldn’t see any trees or bushes or any signs of life. Everything looked abandoned and dead.


All of a sudden Las Vegas loomed up from nowhere. The view was surrealistic. I kept wondering how they had been able to build this incredible destination for so many people around the world, with such poor conditions, and how the city manages its water supply. When we landed, the temperature was 102F (39C) and it struck me that Florida’s climate wasn’t so unbearable after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment