A cosmopolitan's short narratives.

“Welcome to the kingdom of my imagination. Welcome to the world of the unpredictable reality. I live in Florida (sometimes in Sweden). My country of birth doesn’t exist anymore (SSSR). I am writing in English and Russian about my day-to-day life and the experience of living in different countries, observation of people’s life, traveling and fashion. Welcome,” jelena717@gmail.com.

December 26, 2009

The Salvador Dali museum in St Petersburg, Florida.

After the nourishing dinner, it was time to plan for the next day. One of the travel guides recommended visiting St. Petersburg, where you can find one of the biggest Salvador Dali museums. Although half of our group wanted to explore the Marco Islands and didn’t give a fig about Dali, the second half was determined and exercised the privilege of “acoustic management” by persuading the group to visit the Salvador Dali museum. So be it. The next morning we hit St Petersburg and faced the beauty of Dali’s art.

To be honest with you, Dali wasn’t my favorite painter but I always respected him for what he achieved during his lifetime. Though many people consider him mad, history hasn't  indulged us with very many where “craziness” has led to such extraordinary success.

In order to fully understand the works of Dali, it is necessary to know about his life and personality. It is only in the light of certain facts that we can truly judge Dali’s genius and deliver it from the many prejudices and clichés that have spoiled it.

At the museum we had the guided tour, led by a devoted German woman who bewitched me with an amazing story of Dali’s divine life. I also got a lengthy explanation about his, at first look, “crazy” paintings and Dali’s obsession with small details in his paintings.

I was also amused by his deep love for his soul-mate, Gala (she was an immigrant from Russian), his creativity and efficiency. I would not be wrong if I say that there are not very many other genius painters who create so many masterpieces during their lives.




I was stricken by the fact that Dali actually made many other paintings which are “normal,” and they are not so contradicting or as many other people would express themselves, vulgar. Now that I understand more of his art, I don’t perceive his creations as provocative.

In this museum, for the first time in my life, I saw couple of amazing Dali paintings which I never saw before, and they astonished me by their beauty.

Velázquez Painting the Infanta Margarita with the Lights and Shadows of His Own Glory.




The Broken Bridge and the Dream.



I would like to be enlightened a little bit more about the painting “The Broken Bridge and the Dream,” which has bewitched me and revived my imagination.
Just the name thrills me: unfortunately it is difficult for you to see all the details.

By peculiar and individual positioning the surrealistic figures around the broken bridge in the incongruous imagery environment, Dali reveals our human state of mind which rendered by the fact that your dream is broken.

The picture mirrors our life’s raw brutality and gives me a creepy feeling. I am bewitched by how perspicaciously Dali shows the predicable end of our life’s destiny. It shows the fragility of dreams and naivety of our perception of life.

Those who are on the broken side of the bridge are already angels and I find this propounded deep and touching.

No comments:

Post a Comment