A cosmopolitan's short narratives.

“Welcome to the kingdom of my imagination. Welcome to the world of the unpredictable reality. I live in Florida (sometimes in Sweden). My country of birth doesn’t exist anymore (SSSR). I am writing in English and Russian about my day-to-day life and the experience of living in different countries, observation of people’s life, traveling and fashion. Welcome,” jelena717@gmail.com.

February 6, 2010

"Lamplight Lane" of Thomas Kinkade

During my student’s years in Sweden, I was working at the mental hospital to make two ends meet of my deprived economy. Many tedious hours I spent at that hospital.

There was one thing that I was always wondering about, namely why all patients were repeatedly encouraged to lay puzzles. Patients and hospitals employees could sit hours and hours around the table and were completely swallowed by mystery of puzzlement. I never tried to lay puzzle by that time and thought it was waste of time and a stupid game. To spend hours and hour just to puzzle together a silly picture? “A meaningless endeavor, with non developing involvement of your brain, no strategy, no taste, no stile” - I was criticizing inwardly, with my lips sealed.

Since that has passed 6 years and once I was looking at the shelves of “Barnes & Noble” and was thrilled by the incredible touching picture with heart-piercing motive of American artist, Thomas Kinkade. When I looked closer, it turned out it was a picture that can be created by laying the puzzle and I just bought. Anyway, I thought, I can try once and experience how it feels, if don’t like I shall give it away.

Needless to say, I was completely thrilled and captured by the remarkable feeling. Serenity and peacefulness prevailed upon my mind and I lost perception of time. At the same time I was listening the audio book of Leo Tolstoy “Anna Karenina” and rejoicing in creating the picture.

I can tell exactly that it took 38,5 hours to complete the puzzle, as long as it took to hear all 30 discs of “Anna Karenina”.

The result is magnificent!

The 750 piece puzzle "Lamplight Lane" of Thomas Kinkade

No comments:

Post a Comment