A cosmopolitan's short narratives.

“Welcome to the kingdom of my imagination. Welcome to the world of the unpredictable reality. I live in Florida (sometimes in Sweden). My country of birth doesn’t exist anymore (SSSR). I am writing in English and Russian about my day-to-day life and the experience of living in different countries, observation of people’s life, traveling and fashion. Welcome,” jelena717@gmail.com.

April 10, 2010

If a woman doubts ...

If you want to see somebody who is hopeless sick, look at me. There is no cure against my disease. I am addicted to Jane Austen and I can’t help it.
In the beginning I thought that when I done with all her books I shall find a peace in my soul, but I was wrong. I bought and read all her books, studied her biography, bought her portrait, bought books about her books, wrote a lot posts on my blog, tried to learn by heart her famous lines, bought and listened again and again all her audio books and right now I am planning to visit her village of birth Hampshire. I have a movie collection of all possible editions of her novels and movies about her life. I even was forced to buy those in two configuration formats, because you can’t see the European’s CD in the USA.

Today I went to a book story, to buy a newspaper, and just stumbled over (don’t ask how) a “Holy Bible”. It is one book which compiles from 7 novels and it’s decorated with the captive ornament on the hard cover and with the gold covering upon the outside edge of pages. My knees became week and I spasmodically clawed hold of this treasure. My under conscience told me that I already have all her books, in abundance, but my inner voice told me that if I not buy it right now, I will never find suchlike edition. I had a couple of seconds of weak doubts, but my hands had a hardy grasp on the book.

So I bought it. O, I just have opened and inhaled a magical scent of Jane Austen.
And by the way, I didn’t know that Jane wrote a “Lady Susan” which is the 7th novel in this book. Now I am going to read it.
My favorite quotes by Jane:

“If a woman doubts as to whether she should accept a man or not, she certainly ought to refuse him. If she can hesitate as to “Yes”, she ought to say “No”, directly.”
“A woman is not to marry a man merely because she is asked, or because he is attached to her.”

No comments:

Post a Comment