A cosmopolitan's short narratives.

“Welcome to the kingdom of my imagination. Welcome to the world of the unpredictable reality. I live in Florida (sometimes in Sweden). My country of birth doesn’t exist anymore (SSSR). I am writing in English and Russian about my day-to-day life and the experience of living in different countries, observation of people’s life, traveling and fashion. Welcome,” jelena717@gmail.com.

December 4, 2010

The first payroll and the first hair cut.

Today I received my first pay check from my employer here in the US. I feel a little bit awkward, because I never handle checks before. But this feeling is nothing with the emotion of my new hair style. This morning I went  to the Sunny Isles to “Jean-Claude Biguine” do my hair. My girl-friend recommended a French hair dresser, Fabrizio, from this salon which recons as one of the best, and I went all the way to Miami. He magically transformed my shapeless damage hair to a fashionable hair cut. But even Fabrizio has his limitations when it comes to my fine-thin baby hair.

At the same time I got the opportunity to drop myself into Russian environment, because the Sunny Isles in Miami considered as the Russian Isles. I can’t tell you what is special about the place, but the majority of Russian emigrants live there. Neither the Russian nature nor Russian environment is present there, apart from of a couple signboards in Russian. The area looks as any Miami area and it doesn’t bring me nostalgia about my place of birth.
This must affected me and revived my old thrifty habit. Apparently I have difficulty to adapt myself to the tipping part in the US. I always give too little or not at all. This is not a good habit in the society where service is always good tipped. I don’t know what to blame, either the chocking new hair cut or the Russian environment, but I flopped today again. I gave way too little tip for my hair cut, and I pray that my talented hair dresser forget this until my next visit. I want to keep my hair!!

No comments:

Post a Comment