A cosmopolitan's short narratives.

“Welcome to the kingdom of my imagination. Welcome to the world of the unpredictable reality. I live in Florida (sometimes in Sweden). My country of birth doesn’t exist anymore (SSSR). I am writing in English and Russian about my day-to-day life and the experience of living in different countries, observation of people’s life, traveling and fashion. Welcome,” jelena717@gmail.com.

September 14, 2009

Lady in Red.

Finally! I am overjoyed! I got my car. After so many tries and market surveys, we could finally make our chose. Car here is a indispensable necessity and not a luxury. In the society where everything is related on drive-in, even cash machines, although Americans call them ATM machines, it is difficult to make it without it.

My initial thoughts were to buy an Americans one, just to understand how it feels to drive one, but after many driving tests (at car’s deals places), I wasn’t comfortable with their driving ability. It didn't feel right, so I had to stick to my previous versions of Europeans models.

Market of pre-owned cars is enormous here, thanks to the poor economy, but still nobody gives you for free. Please, do not forget that you have to add 6% of taxes on top of your merchandise, which is not included in sale's price.

For those who are recently arrived to US, it is painful to see how price is increasing when you step in front of cashier. The idea that you have to pay more, right just in moment when you are happy that you have found a bargain is painful. Nepp. No free lunches.

Anyway, I like my car. We bought it in Miami and I was suppose to take it home, which meant 1,5 hour driving trough all irksome and dangerous Americans’ motorways.I got nervous and sweaty because it was my first experience when it comes to this type of driving.
Motorways here are with 6 lanes (just in one direction) and people are not following so much traffic rules; left-right or change-line signals are here exclusively rare and most of folks took driving license test on parking place. When I arrived at home, I felt like I need a big whisky. And I couldn’t get even that, because I am having my 10 days healthy –wealthy diet, when you suppose to clear your body by eating all these boring stuff and all kind of alcoholish drinks are prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment