A cosmopolitan's short narratives.

“Welcome to the kingdom of my imagination. Welcome to the world of the unpredictable reality. I live in Florida (sometimes in Sweden). My country of birth doesn’t exist anymore (SSSR). I am writing in English and Russian about my day-to-day life and the experience of living in different countries, observation of people’s life, traveling and fashion. Welcome,” jelena717@gmail.com.

September 11, 2009

Las Vegas, day 3.


My dear reader maybe has started wondering about the main purpose of the visit. Well, did I forget something? The main magnet of folks the attraction of people-watching, the magic dream of winning one million dollars and maybe more?! Everybody comes to Las Vegas with the same dream, but unfortunately I am too perspicacious to believe in that. According to statistics, a man has a higher chance of being hit by a truck or end up in a car accident than to win 1 million dollars.
My sober pessimism, which I have now and then, my life experiences and maybe the lack of extra money which I can afford to lose; makes me anything but a gambler. Therefore I am not acquainted with the rules of many popular games. I can’t even play Black Jack or other games. It is universally acknowledged that the House always wins. Even if you win some money, you are going to lose it anyway, in an unrealistic hope of winning a fortune.



I played a little bit, won probably $20 in all three days and lost them all. To be honest, I am not a lucky person; I never was. I never won any big money during my whole life or anything else in particular on that account.


The main reason to visit Las Vegas for me was to use that unique opportunity to see all these world famous shows. It was beyond my comprehension when it comes to the variety available. You can choose whatever you want, it doesn’t matter what your interests are: from circus to opera; from strip shows to ballet.


You may contradict with me by asserting that there are lots of places like these. Well, let me know when you will find a place where you can hear Dolly Parton, Better Midler, see Ice ballet from Russia, experience Chinese acrobats and an aquatic spectacular, look at Cirque du Soleil (with 5 themes to chose), different mystery shows and (my favorite) enjoy the magnificent “Phantom of the Opera”, which facilities are built for that purpose where shows take place.

Due to our less than thorough planning we could squeeze in just two shows: Phantom of the Opera” and Cirque du Soleil on water.



The Cirque du Soleil show was spectacular and magnificent. It made me feel as a child who was transferred to a fantasy world.


For a short video of Cirque du Soleil, click on the full screen


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYaLLX_bF7c


“Phantom of the Opera” was splendid and touching (I cried). Every time I hear that music my mind escapes to a magical world of endless happiness. Every tone of song gives me the edge of sensation of an unearthly happiness. I can’t describe what is happening in my mind but I know for sure that it is beyond my comprehension. I want the music to never stop and it makes me sad that this feeling can be produced just only by this music (and my sensation of running and reading of Jane Austen).


For a short video of “Phantom of the Opera”, click on the full screen


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G39Xj57qV7g


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej1zMxbhOO0


Tips: by staying in the same hotel where the show which you want to see, is taking place, you are always entitled to 25% of discount. It is also possible to buy tickets at half price on the last day before the show. If you don’t mind to sitting in different places (not beside each other), you can get an additional discount and it can be really near the stage. So, do not hurry to buy tickets three weeks before (only if it is a matter of life and death or you have lots of money), wait until you are in place and you may find a bargain. The list with shows updates every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment